Summer is a time for fun and relaxation, but it’s also important to be aware of the potential safety hazards of warmer weather. Here are some summer safety tips to help you keep your home safe during the summer:
- Keep your windows closed during the day to keep the heat out.
- Use window shades or blinds to block the sun’s rays.
- Install a ceiling fan or two to help circulate the air.
- If you have an air conditioner, ensure it’s in good working order and regularly clean the filters.
Protect Your Home from Burglars
- Keep your doors and windows locked, even when you’re home.
- Install deadbolts on all exterior doors.
- Trim back bushes and trees that could provide cover for burglars.
- Consider installing a security system.
Keep Your Family Safe from Pests
- Seal up any cracks or holes in your home’s foundation or exterior walls.
- Keep your yard free of debris that could attract pests.
- Inspect your home for signs of pests, such as ants, spiders, or rodents.
- If you do find pests, contact a pest control professional.
Other Safety Tips
- Be aware of the dangers of heatstroke and dehydration.
- Keep an eye on children and pets when they’re playing outdoors.
- Don’t leave candles or other open flames unattended.
- Have a fire extinguisher on hand in case of a fire.
- If you will be away from home for an extended period, have someone check on your home regularly.
- Leave a light on in an interior room when you’re going to be away at night.
- Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your home.
Summer is a time to enjoy the outdoors, but it’s also important to be aware of the potential safety hazards of warmer weather. Following these summer safety tips can help keep your home safe during the summer months.