Top 5 Actions to Take to Keep Your Home Cool on Hot Days When You Don’t Have Air Conditioning
It feels like summer has arrived early in Western Washington, and with it comes the heat. You may wonder how to keep your home cool if you don’t have air conditioning. Here are five actions you can take to stay comfortable during the hot summer months:
- Close your curtains and blinds during the day. The sun’s rays can heat up your home quickly, so it’s important to keep them out as much as possible. Close your curtains and blinds during the day, and open them at night to let in the cool air.
- Use fans. Fans can help to circulate the air in your home, which can help to keep you cool. Place fans in strategic locations throughout your home, such as in the living room, bedroom, and kitchen.
- Take cool showers or baths. A cool shower or bath is a great way to cool down on a hot day. You can also try using a cooling towel or a spray bottle filled with cool water.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Staying hydrated is important, especially on hot days. Drink plenty of water, juice, or other fluids to stay cool.
- Avoid strenuous activity during the hottest part of the day. If you must be active, try to do it in the morning or evening when it’s cooler outside.
Here are some additional tips to help you keep your home cool:
- Seal any cracks or gaps around windows and doors with caulk or weatherstripping. This will help to prevent hot air from getting in and cool air from getting out.
- Install awnings or overhangs over your windows. This will help to block the sun’s rays and keep your home cooler.
- Plant trees and shrubs around your home. These plants will help to shade your home and keep it cooler.
- Turn off lights and appliances when you’re not using them. These appliances can generate heat, which can make your home warmer.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. This will help to keep your home cooler.
- Cook your meals outside on a grill or in an outdoor oven. This will help to prevent heat from building up inside your home.
- Take advantage of the cool night air. Open your windows at night to let in the cool air, and then close them in the morning to keep the heat out.
By following these tips, you can keep your home cool and comfortable even without air conditioning. If you need more ideas, contact us.